Friday 15 April 2011

Hernia - It's a real pain

Well actually, my hernias were not a real pain but the doc said they might become one so I decided to get them sorted 'cos I had a couple of weeks to recover. In a went at about 11 a.m and was dashed into surgery at 5 p.m. Apparently they have to make sure you haven't eaten or drunk anything but water.

The staff were all very nice, somebody scraped the back of my hand and I felt nothing until I was on the way back down to my room. I woke up at about 1 a.m. the next morning and then went more or less straight back to sleep until about 5 a.m. Apparently they had filled me up with pain killers so I felt fine. Actually I still felt fine until they gave me more painkillers and all I feel now is sleepy all the time.

Debbie picked me up and brought me home but I am BANNED from lifting ANYTHING for about 4 weeks to make sure I don't, literally, bust a gut. Humph. I find that very annoying. I am not used to doing nothing.

So now I am down to waiting a couple of days until this strange niggly feeling in my tummy settles and then it will be days of planning, organising and arranging the madness of the coming year.

I will be doing the Udderbelly on 5th May and the Lafayette show at the Festival Theatre in Edinburgh on the 7th May and I will be letting helpers do all the lifting that I would normally do myself.

For those visiting Edinburgh (you all should) in August my box office number there is 0131 623 3030 for the shows I will be doing EVERY afternoon at 5 p.m.

Soon I will have sorted the tour dates for after that and I'll let you know.

6 comments:

Mrs Nutty said...

Must be something you magicians have in common, my husband had his hernia repaired on 11 March, he was told no lifting for 12 weeks!! Guess who is doing all the lifting so he can still perform his shows???? Take care and hope you are on the road to recovery soon!!!!

Dean Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Masterless Magician said...

youch. As a disabled guy I can honestly say it's the waiting around doing nothing that gets to you. If I have anything planed (like a visit to the udder belly next month) I have to stay more or less seated/laying for at least 24 hours before and to ensure I will be up and about. A lot of people men well when they say things like "just relax and read/watch something" But being passive can just make your mood a whole lot worse. You will probably feel much better using the time to plan or to write a certain book you briefly mentioned in your last blog (not that we have a vested interest in you doing that al all )
Take care and remember, listen to the quack (I mean nice doctor) otherwise the frustrating waiting time to get better will just keep getting longer and longer.

Bill's Blog said...

Been thinking of you Paul. Glad all went OK. Does this now mean you have a slimmer middle now and can really claim to be the sex symbol we all know and admire. Your friend Bill

Pete Biro said...

I guess it's been 20 years since I had a hernia transplant. All went well, as I am sure yours will too.

A Magic Life said...

Isn't it nice when people leave comments? Thank you. I wonder if Pete's hernia transplant was from one side to the other? :)